Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Beastie Adam Yauch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: RIP Beastie Adam Yauch Reply with quote

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/05/04/adam-yauch-beastie-boys-dead/

Saw the boys over 40 times in the last 25+ years (1st show was by accident when they opened for Madonna at the Omni).

Best memory was at the Virgin Fest in Baltimore 5 or 6 years ago when they opened for the Police.

RIP
kso

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad day. This to me is like one of the Stones dying during my parents generation. rip.

fuckin-a cancer you sure are a whore.
irispromotion

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Sucks Reply with quote

Depressing... MCA was my favorite sound of the three. BB throw the very best shows ever. They throw down EVERY time. One of the top two artists I have ever seen live. I saw them a bit over 30 times live.

A sad day in music indeed. I will miss his voice over the mic terribly. It moved millions including me.
melvintillius

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. End of an era, for sure. I grew up on those guys. Paul's Boutique changed my life when I was like 10yo.
cmac

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melvintillius wrote:
Paul's Boutique changed my life

Definitely one album that did that for me also...
xldwoodslx

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a show Saturday night and the opening dj dropped his electronic set to spin a 30-45 minute tribute to Beastie Boys. He got on the mic and said after Adam's death was announced he decided to scratch his set and just party to Beastie Boys. Man was it the right decision. Place went crazy. Everyone was singing, dancing, and bouncing all the way through. Influences felt from these guys in so many genres.
Jason G

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put together music for a friend's party on Saturday night, threw it all out, played all the BB albums in chronological order instead. It was a fitting tribute i think.

I was trying to explain to my father what a blow this is to me, he said "Hey, it's not like they were The Beatles." But really, to our generation, they were.
DISPAIN

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in 9th grade this girl brought the RECORD to class showing it off it was her prized possession clearly. She surprisingly let me take it home and borrow it, i have not heard of them. I fell in love, with her too we ended up dating for two years over the Beastie Boys. I remember wearing out two cassettes after that... Literally. If you ever went to Stone Mountain on a Sunday Cruising you would hear THE BEASTIE BOYS RUN DMC LUKE KILO AND SIR MIX A LOT AND YOUR ACCOSIONAL VAN HALEN AND RATT. I m goin to get hammered. thanks. [/i]
kryptonite

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 mos ago they released Paul's Boutique on 8 x 7" multi-colored vinyl. I have it, it is oh so awesome.
DISPAIN

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryptonite wrote:
About 2 mos ago they released Paul's Boutique on 8 x 7" multi-colored vinyl. I have it, it is oh so awesome.

Where can i get it? I have a tour poster from Aussie> with RUN DMC and Beastie Boys billed on it. BB opened. All of Run DMC signed it but not the BB. I wouldnt sell it for the world. Jam master Jay and Adam on one poster... both gone. I bet they are up there chopping it up. Any body go to the show and the gyn in atlanta what school gym was that?
kryptonite

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was limited to 500 (POSSIBLY 1k) pressed I think so it sold out quick. eBay has some, but they're pretty steep:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190680961424
Sharc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month's Rolling Stone has a great tribute article to MCA and his life.

The Beastie Boys represent so many different things and their musical evolution, as I wrote many many years ago, actually follows a similar tangent that the Beatles did.

Licensed to Ill was an awesome party jock album to me as a middle-schooler. It's funny how so disappointed I was when I first heard Paul's Boutique. I was too young and uneducated to understand what I was listening to, at that point. It took me another 6-8 years to realize that album is, was and always will be one of the most influential, greatest albums of the last 50 years.

Check Your Head followed MCA's evolution and broughtthe Beasties back to their instruments and Ill Communication just flat out rocked.

After the instrumentals, Hello Nasty was the beginning of the end for them as far as music innovation. Besides, MCA had moved to video projects.

Regardless, his death is a great loss for me. He was a good soul.
Sharc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryptonite wrote:

I have Love American Style on Red repressed on vinyl from around '99. One of my faves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: